Monday, May 24, 2010

Good health-food cookbooks and/or healthy recipes


Good health-food cookbooks and/or healthy recipes?
When I say "healthy," I mean nutritionally rich meals with few artificial ingredients. I've been looking through Google and a few bookstores, but there is SO much material that it's a tad overwhelming. There seems to be a very blurred definition of "healthy" eating which is geared more toward weight loss than intake of essential vitamins and nutrients. I'm more interested in the latter. What's out there? Please include links or places to buy if you make suggestions. Thanks!!
Cooking & Recipes - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would recommend any cook book by Ellie Krieger. Krieger has a bachelor's degree in clinical nutrition from Cornell University and has a master's in nutrition from Columbia University. Krieger is a registered dietitian and nutritionist http://books.google.com/books?id=llxTK89FK_UC&printsec=frontcover&dq=ellie+krieger&source=bl&ots=id7S5ztahd&sig=zb2I4PIe20rQ8bNcAQC3h97J3zA&hl=en&ei=X1QaTMzrNsWBlAeHqrGdCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=15&ved=0CFYQ6AEwDg#v=onepage&q&f=false
2 :
The Joy of Cooking is a great resource for delicious recipes. It has been around for over 75 years so you can expect the ingredients to be nothing but natural. I would suggest buying organic foods when cooking, that way you can achieve the healthiest meal possible. Hope you find this a great help! Also, a great book for baking is King Arthur's Flour Whole Grain Baking. The recipes are delicious! I highly recommend this addition to your collection.
3 :
I am in your same situation. I love baking but my mom hates it, because she loves health, and is very nutritionally oriented. I have yet to find a cook book to suit our needs. However I make basic changed to my food, to please her. For instance use extra virgin olive oil instead of butter, or shortening. USe oat bran flour, rather than white, for it has more nutrients and is less processed. I also use spinach instead of lettuce, for it has more nutrients. Another suggestion would be to go to your local health food store, and look at there cookbooks, or ask a store attendant to help you with recipes. Sorry I can not help you more.
4 :
I love the website myrecipes.com and Cooking Light magazine. Actually, myrecipes.com includes recipes from Cooking Light. I like them because all the recipes include the nutritional breakdown, including calories, sugar, etc. In myrecipes.com you can also create your own recipe box to keep your favorites in, print them in a variety of ways and do searches for specific categories. Also, there are great user reviews of the recipes which often include suggestions on changing up the dish. Of course, when you are buying your own ingredients, buying what's in season, organic or non-processed will yield a more healthy end result



 Read more discussions :