Saturday, October 1, 2011

Does Vegemite taste like the Nutritional Yeast they sell in health food stores


Does Vegemite taste like the Nutritional Yeast they sell in health food stores?
Vegemite is made from yeast. I bought some Nutritional Yeast at a health food store and it doesn't taste too bad. It tastes something like cheese but kinda salty and a bit bitter and kinda like some kind of vegetable. I am in the USA where there is no Vegemite, Marmite, anything-ite. If you have never tasted Nutritional Yeast then there is no way to compare it to anything else. I used cheese as an example but it doesn't taste like cheese. I don't like cheese. But Nutritional Yeast has a kinda cheesy taste. So... if you have tasted BOTH Vegemite and Nutritional Yeast then you can tell me how they compare. THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME TO BUY VEGEMITE WHERE I LIVE AND I WON'T MAIL ORDER IT so don't tell me to buy some because I can't do it.
Other - Food & Drink - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't think so. Have you ever tried Promite or Marmite before? They are similar, but not quite the same!! I don't really think Vegemite tastes like cheese at all. You will just have to try some Vegemite on toast with loads of butter to get the real idea of what it is all about. Delicious.
2 :
Nutrional yeast does taste similar to vegemite and they both look similar, being thick black spreads. But they don't taste exactly the same and I can tell the difference - but i was brought up on Vegemite. Vegemite is stronger in taste - saltier and with more of a "tang" to it. Sort of like Pepsi and Coke, similar but not the same



 Read more discussions :