Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I need cheap, healthy food. What do I buy and what can I make with it


I need cheap, healthy food. What do I buy and what can I make with it?

We want to spend less on groceries and not buy so much processed, convenience food and snack food. People on my other question are suggesting frozen meals and hotdogs; which, I know, are fairly cheap, but are often high in sodium. I have severe diet limitations and so I need suggestions on how to cook health food I guess.
Cooking & Recipes - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I believe if you stock your kitchen with basics, you will eat well and save money. I recommend you start with chicken soup: http://www.eat-well-save-money-recipes.com/chicken-soup-recipe.html and build from there. Let me know if this helps you. If you have further questions, you can communicate via my site anytime. Good luck, Anne
2 :
Lots of pastas and grains. Fresh vegetables, with tomatoes, onions, garlic and some herbs you can make a pretty damn good sauce. If you're looking for REALLY cheap then you will not have too many options health wise.
3 :
Think most adults know healthy foods from unhealthy foods or they should. To buy cheaper look at your groceries weekly ad. Buy things on sale. This time of year it is nice to shop the farmers market and get the freshest produce. You can make whatever you like with it. Salads, pasta dishes or whatever the family is into. You restrictions to your diet it is best to speak with your doctor. He should of given you some education on your problem and if he has not than time to see another doctor. A Dietitian may help you also.
4 :
Watch for chicken or fish on sale, you can always freeze these in the size portions you need! I also buy burger on sale and fry it up & rinse it so it is fat free, then freeze it for fast taco's,casseroles or noodles. I buy in bulk and freeze alot... I love to make different dishes with chicken..... My favorite web site is Taste of Home and they have lots of idea's on healthy cooking and inexpensive dishes. Good luck to you & your family http://www.tasteofhome.com
5 :
Roasts are good because you can start them on the weekends and pick on them for several days. Here is one for cooking a basic turkey or turkey breast: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2019332/how_to_cook_your_first_turkey.html?cat=22 Here are several roast beef recipes: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2030720/how_to_rescue_a_tough_roast_beef.html?cat=22



 Read more discussions :