Saturday, September 1, 2012

Are there negative health issues related to eating really hot or spicy food


Are there negative health issues related to eating really hot or spicy food?
Other than the obvious possible discomfort, can hot sauces or spices do permanant damage to your insides? What's the hottest thing you've ever eaten? Would you do it again?
Other - Food & Drink - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Other than your....uh.....you-know-what burning when you poop, spicy foods have many health benefits. Increases circulation, and internal parasites cannot tolerate hot peppers.
2 :
Eating spicy foods cause a build up in gastric juices. These excess Acidic Juices begin to wear on the lining of your stomach and may cause ulcers.
3 :
Hot/spicy food is supposed to be quite good for you. I've eaten some REALLY hot peppers that felt like I was eating boiling acid - but I'd probably do it again. Once you get used to hot foods, you crave more. "In general, hot, spicy foods are stimulants. They stimulate the circulation and raise body temperature. If you are living in a hot climate, the increase in body temperature can make you feel cooler by diminishing the difference between you and the surrounding air and by inducing sweating, which cools the body when the perspiration evaporates."
4 :
Not that I am aware of unless you have ulcers or other malady that the burning would affect. One of the hottest hot sauces I have personally had was called Dave's Insanity. Being a certified chef, I'll try anything once. And no I wouldn't do it again. I was burning for an hour!
5 :
According to CNN, long term use can cause kidney and liver damage. But, they have some health benefits as well. It's likely the level of 'hot' that is the problem. The type of spicy in Indian foods (spicy not hot) isn't a problem unless you already have stomach problems. Some people, like me, mysteriously develop chemical burns in the mouth from chilies. I can eat poppers (the cream cheese seems to alleviate it) and pepper jelly, but can't have Rotel tomatoes in soup. I hardly ever had hot peppers! Don't know why this happens, but I don't have any of that any more.
6 :
I have chronic pain from arthritis. My doctor recommended I eat as much hot peppers each day as I can for pain relief and health benefits. That's easy for me because I crave them. Habaneros are the hottest I've eaten and our Chinese restaurants have a sauce that is just ground cayenne peppers. I've not eaten any that were too hot for me.
7 :
Other than severe heartburn and gas..I haven't heard of anything. But the hottest I had...called Spontanous Combustion..chock full of habeneros. More than a few drops will get you to sweat.
8 :
my husband loves spicy food but as he got older he found that his stomach couldn't handle it anymore
9 :
You may have to get a new assholeafter that but subject to the usual pluses and minuses you should be OK. The pluses should outweigh the negatives. Regarding stomach acid remember, "It is not what you eat that gives you ulcers, but what eats you.



 Read more discussions :