Monday, April 16, 2012

What to give a child who has to have gluten free food


What to give a child who has to have gluten free food?
My 12 year old is to have a Christmas party soon.Is it wrong to ask the child to bring some things that she can eat.? All the guests need to bring a plate of food. I am a responsible parent and do not want the child to get sick. Or is there food that people can recommend. Health food shop was not helpful.
Other - Diseases - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Thats very thoughtful for you to consider that! Ask his mother.........seems like she would definately plan for that. You might type gluten free foods in a web search if you had time. If not ask the child's mom. It definately can cause the child to get sick . People that can eat what ever they want should count their blessings!
2 :
I'm sure you know gluten free means no wheat products meaning flour. So nothing with bread. Rice, potatoes, grilled meats, vegetables, cheeses, fruits. you can also buy gluten free pastas they are made with rice flour.
3 :
Check out the following website... http://www.csaceliacs.org/recipes.php
4 :
We are a gluten-free home... I would talk to the parent. I'm sure they're used to sending something with they're child. Don't worry, it wouldn't be rude to express your concern to them.
5 :
I agree with the answers above mine. Consult with the child's parents as what you can provide in addition to what they will bring. There is much that's gluten-free and you can find a list of foods that are gluten-free and foods to avoid at the webite for the Celiac Disease Foundation or by running a search for "gluten-free foods". You are very thoughtful.
6 :
I'm gluten-free, as are both my kids. I ALWAYS bring my kids food. It's takes a while to learn how to eat gluten free and there's a lot more to it than you'd think. You can't take a bun off a burger and eat the burger for example. What I like to do is prepare something similar to whatever the rest of the kids are having, and if it's a birthday party, make a GF cupcake (I always have some in the freezer just needing frosting) for my child that's either my child's choice of flavor/color, or the same as the main cake. Some parents just have their child eat beforehand. I would call the parent and let her know that you understand that her child is GF and wanted to touch base and take it from there. I'm sure she'll be happy to explain or answer any questions. Just in case the child is newly diagnosed and the parents don't know exactly what to do either, you can get some good ideas at www.glutenfreeforum.com on products, etc. Also, Whole Foods has a lot of gluten-free bakery items. I'm not sure if it's just at my local one (Sacramento, CA) or not, but they have a little chocolate cake about twice the size of a cupcake by Crave Bakery (I believe) that is gluten free. They also have GF cookies and apple pie. If you end up being responsible for some of the food, make sure you don't touch the gluten-free food because if you've touched something with gluten in it and then touch the child's food, it becomes what's called "contaminated" with gluten. And you'd be surprised how many things have gluten in them. Basically just the residue from a breadcrumb is enough to make a gluten-intolerant person sick. Sounds bizarre, but it's true. Which is why I'm 99% sure the child will either eat at home or bring their own food. :) I also want to thank you SOOO much for including this child in the party. So many times people get so worried about not making someone with celiac disease sick that they don't extend the invitation. It can be a socially isolating disease at times because so many celebrations are tied in with food, but we make our own path and things work out fine. At 12 years old, unless the child is newly diagnosed, I'm sure this type of thing is old hat by now. Thanks again for asking about this! Nancy



 Read more discussions :