Sunday, April 20, 2008

Are there negative health issues related to eating really hot or spicy food


Are there negative health issues related to eating really hot or spicy food?
Are there negative health issues related to eating really hot or spicy food? Other than the obvious possible discomfort, can hot sauces or spices do permanant damage to your insides? What's the hottest thing you've ever eaten? Would you do it again?

Other - Diseases - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I hope not. although it would not help an ulcer. I started hot Mexican food at 5 years and am in my 80's.
2 :
It is generally believed that hot foods are actually GOOD for you (as long as you don't over do it and get yourself an ulcer). They bump up your metabolism & immune system. That is the reason so many health companies sell cayan pepper pills (so people can get those spices into them without burning their mouths. :) Wussies.
3 :
Not the spices but the grease and fat that usually comes with spicy food. Bot hot sauce spices, chili's, tomato's and stuff is actually good for you. But to much could possibly eat the stomach lining away causing heart burn and acid.
4 :
I love hot food! If you have a healthy digestive tract, I don't see any negative aspects related to spicy foods. Of course, if you suffer from acid reflux, ulcer, or colitis, it would be a bad choice for you. A benifit from eating hot foods is capsaicin, a chemical found in chili peppers. It has been linked to helping circulatory problems and pain management.
5 :
There really is? I had experienced it. I live in Philippines, and we have this exotic food of what we call "sinamak". Its a vinegar with peppers and gingers and I used to eat and drink those. And also, one of my favorite, Grind papaya soaked with vinegar, hot peppers and bell peppers. I have eaten so much of those that I've got severe ulcer. And the doctor advised me to refrain from eating all those hot and spicy food. I've learned my lesson



 Read more discussions :