Friday, September 4, 2009

Rate my health conscious fast food picks


Rate my health conscious fast food picks?
I enjoy food that is both healthy and delicious. One thing that I've always been a firm believer of is that you can still find good food at fast food. It shouldn't ALWAYS be avoided. You just have to be selective, i.e. go for steak/chicken and NEVER order anything containing ground beef. And of course, never, ever order french fries or soda... So anyway, here are my picks: Wendy's: Spicy chicken sandwich, hold the mayo! McDonald's: Honey Mustard Snack Wraps (grilled chicken) Taco Bell: Spicy chicken burritos KFC: Original recipe chicken breast I know there are healthier menu items but those are just my personal favorites. I also love Subway, but almost everything there is good - just stay away from meatballs, bacon and regular mayo. What do you think? I say you can be healthy and enjoy fast food on occasion! Yes, honey whole wheat is my favorite. I also bake my own honey whole wheat bread. It's not as good as Subway's, but it's still good. I mix in lots of whole grains and sesame seeds for good measure. I'm sure it's healthier than subway's! Fruit and yogurt parfaits are OK - you are getting yogurt and fruit - but they are just a little high in sugar. Plus you can easily make your own just by buying yogurt, strawberries and blueberries and granola. Taste about the same too and you save a lot of money. Can add in good things too, like sesame seeds. About the oil - I check to make sure all foods contain minimal/zero trans fat (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil) and low in saturated fat. Unsaturated fats are not bad for you so long as they contain no trans fat. But I do agree, the bad oils these places use is the only bad part, which is a shame because if they used olive oil or sesame seed oil, it not only enhances the flavor but those are very good for your cardiovascular system as well. Unfortunately, those oils are on the expensive side, and obviously are not going to be used by the fast food companies (which is why they love using partially hydrogenated vegetable oil - cheap and lasts long, but terrible for the consumers). I hate those people suing KFC and McDonald's for making them fat, but the good that came out of it is the decreased use of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in the fast food industry - in fact, it's use in food has recently been banned in New York City if you haven't heard about that already!
Other - Food & Drink - 6 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Spicy chicken is pretty quality. For overall health subway is usually the way to go. Also whole wheat breads will fill you up quicker than white bread so consider that when ordering a sub.
2 :
How about the fruit and yogurt parfait at McDonald's? Is that healthy or not? (It's pretty sweet tasting)
3 :
You certainly can be healthy and still eat fast food occasionally.... but you know the saying.. everything in moderation. The trick is to stay away from the deep fried foods.. grilled is generally better.. and as you mentioned, stay away from some of the condiments like mayo. Watch how things are cooked.... some restaurants put a little butter on the steaks when they are done cooking...or oil... it makes them look a little juicier...so don't be fooled. Watch how your food is prepared if at all possible.
4 :
Taco Bell has the best spicy chicken burritos and chulupas!!
5 :
yup, you shouldn't avoid all fast food. However, I am in doubt of list that you gave me. I'm not too sure whether they are healthy because even if they say that something is grilled, we can never remove the fact that fast food taste good because of the oil in them. Oil is what carries the flavor, hence if you want to create something really tasty, the cheapest and fastest way to do it is to use lots of oil. So if you give me a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 as the best, i'll give it a 6.
6 :
I dont know if the spicy chicken at Wendys is fried?? I havent tried the Mcdonalds wrap Taco Bell has grade F meat so maybe that shouldnt be your first choice as far as I know KFC....hmmmm....fried chicken aint too healthy, but if you are content with your figure and cholesterol etc then you are obviously doin something right.... I like the Subways bbq chicken sub on whole wheat with a little bbq sauce and lots of veggies (hold the pickles) We have a Harveys restaurant and I like the grilled chicken sandwich, I just wish they had whole grain bread



 Read more discussions :